If you’re looking to add a touch of elegance to your home, exterior shutters are a great option. However, if you want them to look good and function well, it’s essential to measure them correctly. Measuring for exterior shutters is not that difficult, but it requires attention to detail. In this article, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about how to measure for exterior shutters, including why it’s important and what tools you’ll need.
Why Measuring for Exterior Shutters is Important
Measuring for exterior shutters is important because you want them to fit snugly and function properly. If the shutters are too small, they will not cover the windows entirely, potentially leaving gaps where light and air can come in. On the other hand, if they are too large, they will not close correctly, creating an unattractive and even dangerous situation during severe weather.
Additionally, measuring for exterior shutters can also help you determine the appropriate style and material for your home. Different styles of shutters may require different measurements, and certain materials may be better suited for certain climates or architectural styles. By taking accurate measurements, you can ensure that you choose the right shutters for your home’s specific needs.
Tools You Need for Measuring Exterior Shutters
Before you start measuring your windows, you’ll need a few tools on hand. Firstly, you’ll need a measuring tape. A measuring tape is an essential tool for taking precise measurements. Secondly, you’ll need a pencil and paper to record your measurements. Finally, it’s a good idea to bring a friend to help you hold the shutter in place while you measure.
Additionally, it’s important to have a level on hand to ensure that your shutters are installed straight and even. A level can help you avoid any crooked or uneven installations that can be unsightly and affect the functionality of your shutters. You can also use a level to make sure that your shutters are properly aligned with each other and with the window frame. Having a level on hand can save you time and frustration in the long run.
Step-by-Step Guide to Measuring for Exterior Shutters
To measure for exterior shutters, follow these steps for each window:
- Measure the height of the window and mark it down.
- Measure the width of the window and mark it down.
- Measure the distance from the outer edge of the window frame to the point where the shutter will hinge against the house, and mark it down.
- Measure the distance from the outer edge of the window frame to the point where the shutter will meet the other shutter and mark it down.
It’s essential to take precise measurements. Otherwise, the new shutters won’t fit, and you’ll have to start all over. Be sure to measure to the nearest 1/8th of an inch to get an accurate measurement.
Additionally, it’s important to consider the style of the shutters when measuring. Some styles, such as louvered shutters, require additional space for the louvers to open and close properly. Make sure to research the specific style of shutter you plan to install and adjust your measurements accordingly.
Tips for Accurate Measurements of Exterior Shutters
Here are some additional tips to ensure accurate measurements:
- Measure your windows from the outside and always take two measurements, one from each side of the window. If the two measurements are slightly different, use the smallest measurement.
- When measuring for shutter height, measure from the top of the window sill to the top of the window.
- When measuring for shutter width, measure from the left edge of the window to the right edge of the window sash.
- Take extra care when measuring angled or arched windows, as precise measurements will be more critical.
It is also important to consider the type of material your shutters will be made of when taking measurements. Different materials, such as wood or vinyl, may have different thicknesses that can affect the final measurements. Additionally, if you plan on installing your shutters on the outside of your window frame, make sure to measure the depth of the frame to ensure a proper fit.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Measuring for Exterior Shutters
When measuring for exterior shutters, there are a few common mistakes to avoid. Firstly, don’t assume that your windows are all the same size. Even if they look the same, there can be millimeters of difference. Secondly, don’t measure the old shutters; instead, measure the window itself. Lastly, don’t forget to write down your measurements. Even if you think you’ll remember them, it’s best to write them down as you go.
Another common mistake to avoid when measuring for exterior shutters is not taking into account the type of material the shutters are made of. Different materials can have different thicknesses, which can affect the measurements needed. For example, wooden shutters may require a slightly larger measurement than vinyl shutters due to their thickness.
It’s also important to consider the style of the shutters when measuring. Some styles, such as louvered shutters, may require additional measurements to ensure proper fit and function. Additionally, if you plan on adding decorative hardware to your shutters, make sure to measure for that as well.
How to Measure Different Types of Windows for Exterior Shutters
Different types of windows require different measurements for exterior shutters. Here are some tips:
- For double-hung windows, measure from the bottom of the top sash to the top of the bottom sash.
- For casement windows, measure from the edge of the window frame to the center of the window and use this measurement for both the width and height.
- For bay windows, measure each window separately and decide whether you want to install shutters on all of the windows or just some of them. It’s recommended that you measure each window nearly separately.
It’s important to note that when measuring for exterior shutters, you should also consider the type of material you want to use. Wood shutters, for example, may require slightly different measurements than vinyl or aluminum shutters. Additionally, if you’re unsure about how to properly measure your windows, it’s always a good idea to consult with a professional to ensure that your shutters fit properly and function correctly.
How to Determine the Right Size and Style of Exterior Shutters for Your Home
To determine the right size and style of exterior shutters for your home, consider the following:
- The style of your home: Choose shutters that complement the overall style of your home.
- The color: Make sure that the color of the shutters matches the color scheme of your home.
- The size: It’s essential to measure your windows correctly to select the right size of exterior shutters.
- The material: There are various types of shutter materials available, from wood to vinyl to aluminum. Choose a material that will last and withstand weather elements in your region.
Another factor to consider when selecting exterior shutters for your home is the shape of your windows. If you have arched or circular windows, you may need to choose custom-made shutters to fit the unique shape of your windows.
Additionally, think about the function of your shutters. Are they purely decorative, or do you want them to be functional and able to close over your windows? If you live in an area prone to hurricanes or strong winds, functional shutters can provide an extra layer of protection for your home.
How to Measure for Custom-Made Exterior Shutters
If you have unique windows, standard-sized shutters will not work. In this case, you’ll need to consider custom-made exterior shutters. To measure for custom-made exterior shutters, it’s best to hire a professional to take accurate measurements. They will measure your windows carefully and ensure that the shutters fit perfectly.
In conclusion, measuring for exterior shutters is not a difficult process, but it requires attention to detail and precision. With the tips outlined in this article, you’ll be able to take accurate measurements and choose the right size, style, and material for your home’s new exterior shutters.
It’s important to note that custom-made exterior shutters can be more expensive than standard-sized shutters. However, they offer a unique and personalized touch to your home’s exterior. Additionally, custom-made shutters can increase the value of your home and improve its curb appeal. So, if you’re looking to make a statement with your home’s exterior, custom-made shutters may be the perfect solution for you.